Since it was founded in Geneva in 1915, Caran d'Ache’s history has been intertwined with creativity and emotion. Countless generations of budding artists, amateurs and professionals have shared and continue to share the company’s passion for its colours and the quality of its drawing and writing instruments.
Originally known as Fabrique Genevoise de Crayons, the brand was rechristened Caran d'Ache in 1924 at the suggestion of Arnold Schweitzer, the head of the company at the time. Caran d'Ache means pencil in Russian and has its roots in the Turkish word "kara-tash" which means black stone, in reference to graphite. A true icon of the Swiss Made label, Caran d'Ache remains a family company, currently headed up by Carole Hubscher who represents the fourth generation of the family involved in the company's management at the highest level since the 1930s